Monday, October 18, 2010

The NES is Silver today

25 years ago today at FAO Schwarz in Manhattan NY, the first Nintendo Entertainment Systems went on sale in the United States. Home video-gaming had died completely in the U.S. three years earlier in The Crash of 1983, and Nintendo had to package the device with a toy robot in order to convince retailers to carry it.



The system launched 18 available games: Balloon Fight, Baseball, Clu Clu Land, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Duck Hunt, Excitebike, Golf Gyromite, Hogan's Alley, Ice Climber, Kung Fu, Mach Rider, Pinball Stack-Up, Tennis, Wild Gunman, Wrecking Crew and, of course, Super Mario Bros. 

I still have mine.

5 comments:

ScrewAttackSamus said...

good times. Here's hoping to another 25.

Miquel 'Fire' Burns said...

This been bugging me for a while, but the videos you embed from YouTube tend to get cut off on the side by the month listing thing.

awwnuts07 said...

Wow, the NES is 25 years old. Man, that makes me feel f*cking old. Still, I've got some great memories associated with the little grey box.

Adam said...

Thank you Nintendo. If it weren't for you I might have actually spent my childhood being productive.

Ezenwa Anyanwu said...

(Repost from other site)

I still have mine, too. It doesn't work, but it's still there. The day the Nintendo was born in America was the day I became a full-fledged video game fan. It's still the inspiration for me to break into the business as a developer. Kudos to the big N for setting the standard. And to all those wonderful haters out there, who hate on Nintendo nowadays for one reason or another: to deny Nintendo its respect is to deny your roots. REMEMBER YOUR ROOTS! LOL. J/K. In all seriousness, I'm glad the NES (pronounced N-E-S, not NESS, as most people try to do these days)existed.